We provide a multitude of services to private sector corporations with a focus on site selection, project incentive negotiation and compliance. The following projects showcase how our 35+ combined years of experience in site identification, selection and evaluation translates into measurable, added-value results for our clients. Listed below is an aggregated summary of our work with select clients.
Consumer Products Company
This company is a global leader in the design and manufacture of power tools, outdoor power equipment, floor care and appliances for consumers and professionals in the repair and construction industries. Exponential growth of their products and lack of excess warehouse capacity resulted in their need for a new 1.3 million square foot distribution center. This client tasked us with evaluating candidate sites within a three-state search area with a specific focus on each location’s workforce attributes, quality of life amenities and potential incentives. Additionally, we were tasked with leading incentives negotiation on the preferred sites with state and local stakeholders.
Our results included:
- Comparative analysis of each candidate location’s potential business tax liabilities (i.e. property tax, corporate income tax, sales tax, etc.)
- Analytical assessments of each candidate location’s workforce attributes and quality of life amenities
- Fee-in-Lieu of Property Taxes (FILOT) agreement
- State, county, and utility grants in support of the project
- State job tax and withholding tax credits
- Port-related withholding tax credits and cargo volume-based incentives
- Overseeing legal documentation of all incentives and real estate acquisition matters
- Advice and guidance on overall site due diligence and all required incentive application documentation
- Monitoring progress with respect to the various incentive performance requirements (i.e. reporting and compliance) and ensure proper administration of the various state and local discretionary incentives
The company’s new 1.3 million square-foot distribution center will result in 216 new jobs and $85 million in capital investment over five years.
Tire Manufacturing Company
A Singapore-based tire manufacturer, the world’s 10th largest, operates eight manufacturing facilities and employs 32,000 workers throughout the world. The company requested our services to assist them with their plans to establish their first U.S.-based manufacturing facility. Our work with this client specifically included the following:
- Consultation on review, comparison and analysis of initial business incentive offerings from two candidate location states
- Identified opportunities to maximize incentive benefits to the company and led further negotiations between the company and state, local and utility officials that resulted in a superior overall incentive offering
- Negotiated and advised on all elements of property tax abatements, job tax credits and withholding tax credits, port-related incentives, state grants, utility grants, and successively drafted terms and conditions for the various performance agreements
- Led efforts to assemble, negotiate and acquire ±1,152 acre preferred site
- Participated in overseeing legal documentation of state, local and utility-related incentives and real estate acquisition
Our two-state analysis led to an announcement of an investment of $560 million and the creation of 1,700 jobs at their newly acquired site in Chester County, South Carolina.
Tier 1 Automotive Supplier
This company is a steel processing and technology group which operates worldwide manufacturing and processing facilities that develop high-quality steel products. With its cutting-edge flat steel products, the group is one of the leading partners in the automotive, white goods and energy industries in Europe, as well as the oil and gas industries worldwide. The company engaged our services to assist them with their four-state site location search for a new $62 million automotive body stamping production facility. Our work with this client included:
- A four-state site selection and incentive negotiation engagement for the company’s first U.S.- based automotive stamping production facility to support the company’s current and future production needs for their North American customers
- Assistance with narrowing community/site candidates from more than 40 to a short list of two finalist sites
- Serving as the lead negotiator for the company to develop and implement final state and local incentive packages for each of the finalist communities/sites. These packages detailed both statutory and discretionary incentives along with additional incentive offerings from other associated stakeholders
- Continuing to serve in an ongoing advisory role to the company with respect to the implementation of the incentive package and their Georgia operations
The company’s new U.S. automotive stamping production facility located in Cartersville, Georgia, represents a total capital investment of more than $62 million and the creation of 220 jobs.
Tier 1 Automotive Supplier
This tier 1 automotive supplier produces lightweight design vessels for the transport and storage of hydrogen and CNG in passenger and commercial vehicles. The German-based company tasked us with conducting a three-state (OH, MI and IN) site selection and incentives negotiation project in order to provide them with the ability to better serve their North American customers. Our accomplishments in support of this effort included:
- Identification of suitable real estate opportunities in a three-state region
- Assessment of available workforce attributes and associated costs and the negotiation of preferential state and local incentive packages
- Negotiation and guidance on the terms associated with a build-to-suit/leaseback facility on behalf of the company
- Overseeing of incentive and performance agreement documentation and related to real estate contracts
The company’s first U.S.-based, 50,000 square-foot facility in Heath, Ohio, will include 59 new jobs and $6.3 million in capital investment.
Tier 1 Automotive Supplier
This company is a leading global manufacturer of precision components and subassemblies for the automotive industry. The family-run German company requested our assistance with their search for a new North American facility. We performed site selection and incentive negotiation consultative services across a three-state target area (GA, NC and SC) and successfully sited their new 196,000 square-foot facility, as well as a separate training center. Our work with this client included:
- Advice and guidance on finalist location’s incentives and cost of doing business
- Analytical comparison and net present value estimation of realizable incentives
- Overseeing of incentive and performance agreement documentation and related real estate contracts
The company recently announced the location of their new U.S.-based production facility in Hart County, Georgia, which represents an anticipated investment of $54 million and the creation of 400 new jobs.
Consumer Products Company
We performed site selection, site acquisition and incentive negotiation services across two states (South Carolina and North Carolina) for a national retailer of women’s fashions. Our work included leading their acquisition of a 300+ acre tract in the Charlotte, North Carolina Metro area to be developed into a mixed-use, high-end business park inclusive of a new, fully-automated distribution center. Accomplishments in assisting this particular client include:
- Successful acquisition of land at a cost well below market value and negotiation of a Fee-in-Lieu of Tax agreement, thereby significantly reducing their property tax liability
- Identification and acquisition of additional industrial properties for a potential expansion within York County, South Carolina. We continue to assist with due diligence items pertaining to site suitability in this regard
- Continuing to be retained to perform additional site-related consulting and associated work.
This project represents an initial capital investment of $40+ million and the creation of 130 new jobs.
Renewable Energy Company
This renewable energy company is quickly becoming a national leader in creating small, efficient solar power plants that major utilities can economically leverage to help provide sustainable, secure energy to people across the nation. This company specializes in utility-scale, ground-mounted solar plants.
Renewable Energy Company launched its first solar power operation in South Carolina at two locations in Lexington County. The company’s first two projects will ultimately produce 20 megawatts of electricity at full capacity, enough to power 4,000 homes. Subsequent to our work with Anonymous Renewable Energy Company in Lexington County, we have helped them secure incentives for 15 projects throughout South Carolina. Our engagement with this client consists of negotiating and documenting incentives, including the following:
- Negotiated property tax abatements for more than 20 utility-scale solar farm projects in ten counties
- Negotiated state grants and performance agreements
- Demonstrated value of projects and incentives to all client stakeholders and incentive-authorizing organizations
- Coordinated timing and approval process for incentives
- Through our legal affiliate, Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein, ensured correct application of agreed upon incentives through legal documentation of deal terms
- Coordinated public announcement of project upon formal approval of incentives
Renewable Energy Company’s solar power projects will produce more than 200 megawatts of electricity at full capacity, enough to power more than 40,000 homes.
Tier 1 Automotive Supplier
Headquartered in Friedrichshafen, Germany, this tier 1 automotive supplier is a leading global supplier of driveline, chassis and safety technologies. The company currently employs more than 2,000 people at its Laurens County, South Carolina operation, which has an annual capacity of 1.2 million transmissions, including an eight-speed version and the world’s first nine-speed automatic transmission. The company’s Gray Court facility recently bought a 150,000 square-foot building in Owings Industrial Park, a $22.5 million investment with plans to create 545 new jobs over the next five years.
ZF Transmissions needed to acquire control of its preferred site for this new North American manufacturing facility quickly while minimizing costs. Our fully integrated site selection approach helped ZF move from inception to operation at a record pace. Our results included:
- Maximized state and local incentives to reduce both short and long-term development and operating costs
- Secured ideal North American site in a community with superior infrastructure and workforce
- Reduced initial investment costs through up-front cash grants and bond proceeds
- Secured control of site and obtained infrastructure improvements on time and within budget
- Significantly lowered projected tax burden over a 30-year period
“ZF approached Parker Poe at a critical point in our U.S. site selection process. They quickly helped us gain control of the site and negotiate state and local incentives, giving us the confidence we needed to move forward. The expansion was ultimately completed on time and within budget.”
—President and CEO